My students and I received a tour of the Toys R Us flagship store in Manhattan today. We learned a great deal about the keys to running a successful flagship. These include:
1. Provide product demonstrations to encourage trial of new and exciting products.
2. Create entertainment opportunities to draw people to the store (the Ferris Wheel at Toys R Us).
3. Partner with product companies to create special events for product launches, movie openings, etc.
4. Partner with firms to create special products tailored to that particular city.
5. Use the store to experiment with concepts and ideas that might then be rolled out to all regular stores in the chain.