At Business Week's site, Home Depot's Brad Shaw shared the following five social media lessons for business:
1. You can't control the conversation: Companies can't just proclaim; they must engage in a dialogue with consumers.
2. Be authentic. Your online image and approach must match your offline image and culture.
3. It's about people. Don't just communicate about products and services. Share information about the people behind the brand.
4. Your people need hands-on expertise in what customers care about. Use front-line employees in your social media efforts, because they touch the consumers directly.
5. Be patient and flexible. Invest in small increments, gather feedback, adjust over time. Stay agile.