Thursday, April 09, 2020

Time to Write a Thank You Note

Source: Bloomberg
During this crisis, we have an even greater need to express our gratitude to hard-working, dedicated employees in our organization.   Recognizing people's efforts and achievements can be instrumental to cultivating high employee engagement, fostering their well-being, and increasing productivity.   Doug Conant, former CEO of Campbell's Soup, has been an ardent proponent of the handwritten thank-you note for years.   Here's an excerpt that he wrote for Harvard Business Review several years ago about the importance of acknowledging what people have done for the organization.  

Believe it or not, I have sent roughly 30,000 handwritten notes to employees like Patti over the last decade, from maintenance people to senior executives. I let them know that I am personally paying attention and celebrating their accomplishments. (I send handwritten notes too because well over half of our associates don’t use a computer). I also jump on any opportunities to write to people who partner with our company any time I meet with them. It’s the least you can do for people who do things to help your company and industry. On the face of it, writing handwritten notes may seem like a waste of time. But in my experience, they build goodwill and lead to higher productivity.

No comments: