Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Larry Lucchino at Bryant Commencement

Boston Red Sox CEO Larry Lucchino gave the commencement address at Bryant University on Saturday. He offered a top ten list of advice to our graduating seniors. Here are two of his excellent bits of advice:

Lucchino quoted Elwood Dowd, a character played by Jimmy Stewart in the movie "Harvey" - “My mother used to say to me, ‘Elwood, in this world you must be oh-so clever, or oh-so pleasant.’ For 40 years I tried clever. I recommend pleasant.”

Lucchino also stressed to the students that they should be courageous enough to say, “I don’t know.” He told them not to guess and not to fake it when they don't have the answer. Lucchino explained, "If you don’t have the answer, say so. These seven words often work out well: 'I don’t know, but I’ll find out.'”

All in all, Lucchino offered a humorous speech with sound advice... and he kept it brief, which is a must in commencement speeches!

No comments: