Wednesday, August 05, 2026

Career Advice: Run to the Mess

Several years ago, former Market Leader and Likewise CEO Ian Morris spoke to my students at Bryant University (where Ian graduated with a Bachelor's degree in the early 1990s before completing his MBA at HBS).  Ian offered a few wonderful pieces of career advice.  First, he always told the students to "leave well" when changing jobs.  Give extra notice, help train your successor, and preserve relationships.  You never know when you will cross paths with those people again. Second, Ian suggested that they "run to the mess" if they want to build new skills and accelerate their career progression. Ian mentioned that many people avoid difficult situations because they fear failure. Yet, he described these tough circumstances as the best opportunities to truly shine, to make your mark.

A recent Stanford interview with Jane Fraser, CEO of Citibank, reminded me of Ian's advice. Fraser also commented on the value of taking on the tough jobs during her career, even if they were not the ones that others found attractive and interesting. Fraser said,

Interviewer:  Why did you pick these tough jobs?

Jane Fraser: Yeah. I mean, because someone once asked, “Is it because none of the men wanted to take them?” There might be a bit of truth in some of that. I think one of the things, I’m not a tweaker so I never wanted a job where you’d just be tweaking things to make it better. I think I’d be awful at it. I think a lot of people in this room would be awful at tweaking jobs too. It’s more fun to be bold in making changes. And then if something’s not in great shape, it’s amazing how you get left alone to fix it. Whereas if something is actually going well, you have everybody giving you helpful advice and opinions on what you can be doing better. So one of the fun things about turnarounds or changing things more radically, quite often you’re left a little bit more on your own.

Then when it starts getting successful, then everyone jumps onto the train and heads that way. But I’ve always quite enjoyed transforming things a bit more and then you learn a playbook of what you need to do and you can repeat a lot of it in different situations like get the team in place that you need as a first step because otherwise you’re going to be doing everybody else’s job and be really lousy at the one you’ve actually been put in to do. So there’s just different steps that I put in place each time now and they’ve been helpful so far.

No comments: